6 Beauty Secrets that will SHOCK you!
The beauty industry is one of the most controversial industries out there. The manipulation, intimidation, and product deception have consumers making uninformed decisions and leaving them confused about what they're getting for their money.
We don't have time or enough space on the internet to write about all of the misconceptions related to the industry, but we're here to set the record straight with six beauty secrets that will shock you.
'Natural' products aren't what you think
When a brand slaps 'Natural' on a product, you may be thinking, "Perfect; I don't want to put chemicals on my skin or support a business that derives from animals." However, a product can contain as little as 20% of natural ingredients to be labeled natural. The other 80% of ingredients could be anything!
'Derived from natural ingredients’ does not mean natural. Manufacturers use this term to lure consumers into purchasing their products because it allows them to believe that they're purchasing chemical-free products with no hidden nasties.
The lesson here is always to read the ingredient list. You can read more about what ingredients to avoid on our previous blog: Ingredients To Avoid When Shopping For Vegan Cosmetics.
Fragrances in cosmetics and skincare
According to the INCI, which stands for International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients, skincare brands must print the ingredients on the packaging in the order of highest to lowest quantities. However, once the included ingredients are at a concentration level of 1% or less, this rule goes out the window. Even more shocking is that they are not required to list the exact ingredients used to formulate the 'fragrance' used in a product.
The FDA defines fragrance as a combination of chemicals that gives each perfume or cologne its distinct scent. Fragrance ingredients can be derived from petroleum, raw materials, or even animals. Furthermore, The International Fragrance Association has associated materials used in fragrances linked to severe health effects, including cancer, reproductive toxicity, allergies, and sensitivity.
Even more concerning, the only way to determine EXACTLY what's in a product formulation is by taking it to a lab.
Blue light exposure kills skin cells
How many of us spend a solid amount of time in front of a screen per day? Unfortunately, televisions, phones, computers, and ipads all emit what’s called blue light. The light is not only damaging to our eyes but can have adverse effects on our skin. Consequences can include pigmentation, skin inflammation, and decreased collagen production in the skin, causing premature aging.
At almost every job, there will be some exposure to a blue light screen, so it’s essential to nourish your skin with nutrient-rich prevention products to combat any harmful damages. Digital screens emit invisible UV lights, so starting each morning with a high SPF sunscreen is a great place to start.
P.S. The Quick Flick has developed an SPF 50+ sunscreen packed with blue light defense ingredients! Check it out here.
Sunscreen is the number one product for anti-aging
Sun damage is the number one culprit for aging our skin. Exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun quickens the natural aging process of the skin and is responsible for causing premature skin pigmentation, wrinkles, and fine lines. So it makes perfect sense that using daily SPF is the best preventative measure to protect your skin against aging.
Buying beauty products from platforms like eBay Wish or Amazon does not guarantee product authenticity. Instead, consumers are lured by big brand names at low prices but end up with a sub-quality product.
Some of the best beauty treatments are free
One of the biggest and best-kept beauty secrets is at-home remedies we should all be doing. Here we are spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars annually on expensive beauty treatments when no one is advertising home remedies that we could all be doing. Some include drinking plenty of water, facial massages, steaming, and a consistent cleansing routine. These completely free, at-home treatments can be more effective than any service you receive at a spa.
The best advice we can give is to shop from brands that emphasize integrity and honesty with their customers. The Quick Flick has a team of dedicated and educated beauty professionals who can answer any of your questions. So don't hesitate to contact our Beauty Advisors through our Instagram or Facebook Group for more information on any ingredient!